Last Updated: April 6th, 2020
i-Link manages and operates an online community of willing participants called LiveTribe. Members of the LiveTribe community have double-opted in to participate in online surveys and discussion groups. All personal information collected and stored for this community is housed in a separate location to i-Link Data.
This policy describes the types of Personal Data we collect, why we collect that Personal Data, the other parties with whom we may share it, and the measures we take to protect the security of the data. It also tells you about your rights and choices with respect to your Personal Data, and how you can contact us to update your contact information or ask questions about our privacy practices.
1. Personal Data We Collect About You
a. Personal Data Provided by You
- We ask you to provide certain Personal Data when you register for an account through our websites including your name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth, occupation (optional), education (optional), and gender. This information helps us to better target the projects we invite you to participate in.
- In addition, we collect Personal Data you provide when you participate in a survey or when you redeem points for vouchers (e.g. a PayPal email). This also includes a unique member identification number (session ID) we assign to you when you sign up for an account and the responses you provide in your profiling survey. Sensitive Personal Data includes but is not limited to data that indicates your health and medical conditions, sexual orientation or sexual life, political opinions/views, race/ethnic origin and religious practice. We will always allow a Participant to opt-out of providing this information.
- Sensitive information is always stored and reported in aggregate form. Where required by law, we will ask for your consent to the processing of your sensitive Personal Data or to the passing on of your personal data to a third party.
- Apart from Participant Data, i-Link may also collect and store Client contact and company information to be used solely for the purpose of providing our service. Such information is stored on S3 Amazon Cloud servers located in undisclosed data centers in Sydney Australia. i-Link does not directly market products or services to any research Participant. i-Link may also disclose personal information in circumstances where we are authorised or required to do so by law, and in circumstances where we consider it appropriate to do so in order to ensure that laws are complied with.
- i-Link may send emails with the sole purpose of inviting someone to participate in a survey or discussion group on behalf of our Clients. Email lists will have been obtained from Clients for this purpose. Email invitations distributed by i-Link are only sent to Participants who have, to the best of our knowledge, given their consent to receive such emails. Every email sent by i-Link includes the ability to unsubscribe from receiving further emails. Unsubscribe data is provided back to our Clients for removal from their lists at the end of a project or in two weeks, whichever is first.
b. Location Data
- We collect your geo-location information based on the IP address from where you are completing one of our surveys. If you no longer wish to share your geo-location information with us, please change the privacy settings of your device. Where required by law, we obtain your explicit consent to share your location information with third parties.
c. Social Media Accounts
- If you access our platforms via 3rd party social media platforms, we may collect certain profile information stored in your social media account, such as name, gender and email address. Social Media platforms refer to Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, Twitter.
d. Personal Data Obtained Via Cookies
- When you use i-Link or LiveTribe, we may collect certain information via cookies and similar technologies. Cookies are small files that store certain data on a device. Cookies create a unique ID that is associated with your browser. Session cookies expire when you close your browser, whereas persistent cookies remain on your device until deleted or once they reach a defined expiration date.
- The information we collect via cookies and similar technologies may include information about your device and its capabilities, including, the device type and operating system, time zone, browser type, referring/exiting pages, operating system, date/time stamp, click stream data (A clickstream is the recording of the parts of the screen a computer user clicks on while web browsing or using another software application), online advertising you have been exposed to, and unique identification numbers such as your device IP address.
- Information collected via digital fingerprinting may also be used for quality control, validation, and fraud detection and prevention purposes.
- When you use i-Link or LiveTribe to participate in surveys regarding specific ads and promotions that we are testing for our clients, you may see these ads or promotions in several places, including platforms not hosted by i-Link or LiveTribe. Once you have been exposed to the relevant ads and promotions (identified via cookie tracking technology) we will provide you with access to, or contact you to participate in a survey about these ads or promotions and may provide certain demographic data about you to the advertiser or the advertiser’s agent regarding the demographic profiles of individuals who have viewed the ad.
2. How We Use Your Personal Data
We may use the Personal Data we obtain from or about you for a variety of purposes, including:
- To offer you the opportunity to participate in research activities, including to join a panel, participate in surveys administered by i-Link or LiveTribe or by third parties (whether as a panel member or a non-panel member), or use websites and mobile applications associated with panels or surveys.
- To administer, manage, fulfil, facilitate entry into, and communicate about our rewards programs and other promotions, including competitions offered in connection with panel membership and/or the completion of surveys.
- To communicate with you regarding your membership on LiveTribe, or to send you notifications of your participation in a survey and tailored survey opportunities.
- To update i-Link or LiveTribe records, perform data analysis for internal purposes or for our clients.
- To provide a better survey experience, including quality control, validation, tracking of completed surveys or other completed actions
- To ensure data safety and data security and to detect and prevent fraudulent activity
- To comply with our legal obligations, including, without limitation, tax obligations, privacy obligations, ISO20252:2019 & ISO27001 obligations.
3. How We Share Your Personal Data
a. We may disclose the Personal Data we collect about you as described below:
- To program partners (e.g. affiliates) who invited you to join LiveTribe and that you have enrolled through.
- Our clients for market research-related purposes (including for the creation and validation of models, fraud detection and prevention, data market segmentation and database matching, and reward, incentive, or sweepstakes redemption, fulfillment and/or entry), to enable them to develop marketing campaigns, audience insights, look-alike models and/or to market third party’s products/services to you, and for the purposes of identifying respondents for re-contact surveys or communications.
- Our client or their customers, if we believe that you have or may have violated the intellectual property rights of a third party or our Terms & Conditions.
- With a third party in connection with any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- As otherwise permitted pursuant to this Policy or (i) if we are required to disclose Personal Data about you by law or legal process, (ii) in response to a request from a court, law enforcement authorities, or government officials, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity.
- We may allow a client to collect Personal Data directly from you. You are free to provide them with your Personal Data. In these situations, we enter into a written agreement with our clients to, among other things, limit their use of the Personal Data.
b. Cross-Border Disclosure of Personal Information
- i-Link may disclose some personal information to organisations outside Australia if we consider it is appropriate to do so. The organisations outside of Australia may not have the same or substantially similar privacy laws as those in Australia. Australian Privacy Principle 8.1 will not apply to such disclosure but nonetheless our Clients consent to the disclosure of such personal information overseas.
4. Your Rights and Choices
Subject to relevant laws and/or regulations, you have the right to:
- Opt out of certain collection and use of your Personal Data where that data field is optional. Should you wish to not answer a mandatory profile question, this can only be done by contacting our staff via firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Request your survey responses be deleted (even if the survey is a “complete”).
- Request access to and receive information about the Personal Data we collect about you.
- Withdraw any consent you previously provided regarding the processing of your Personal Data, at any time and free of charge.
You can stop all collection of Personal Data and other information by us by terminating your participation in our panel. You may use the standard unsubscribe processes available on the panel site. To delete all information collected by us, to exercise your rights described above or terminate your account please contact our Privacy Officer at Privacy_Officer@i-linkresearch.com or call on 1800 003 995.
5. Data Security and Data Retention
- We maintain appropriate technical and administrative safeguards to protect your Personal Data against accidental or unlawful loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. Our Information Security Management System (ISMS) is in line with ISO27001:2013 standards. We review, monitor, and evaluate our privacy practices and ISMS on a regular basis. Despite these measures and our use of SSL-encrypted connections, transmissions over the Internet or a mobile network will never be 100% secure. We cannot guarantee the security of online transmissions nor we accept no responsibility for any errors by individuals in submitting Personal Data to us.
- Your Personal Data is encrypted at rest and stored on AWS Cloud servers located in Australia at undisclosed locations. For more information on AWS data security please review this AWS Data Center Controls link.
- For any Personally Identifying Data we receive from our clients, our data retention policy requires we delete that data within 45 days of a client notifying us that a project is closed. Data is transmitted via SSL-Encrypted websites that can be accessed only by a controlled list of users.
- If we believe that we have suffered an eligible data breach we will notify the affected individuals and the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC).
6. Individuals Under the Age of 18 years
Our services are not designed for, or intended for use by, any individual under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 18, and if we became aware that we have inadvertently collected Personal Data from a person under the age of 18, we will undertake reasonable commercial efforts to delete such Personal Data. From time to time we conduct research projects for children aged less than 18 years however in this instance we will always request explicit consent from the child’s parent or guardian first.
8. Contact Us
I-Link Research Solutions Pty Ltd: write to us at Privacy_Officer@i-linkresearch.com or to Suite 606, 267-277 Castlereagh St, Sydney, 2000. Attention: Privacy Officer.
Information regarding The Privacy Act on the OAIC website can be found here: Privacy Act.